Tuesday, December 02, 2008

November

This painting has been sold

Oil on plywood panel 8" x 7.5"

It doesn't take much for the town to assume the identity it had a hundred years ago, a small, industrial mill town, a town made for work and for workers. Houses here have very small back gardens or back yards because mill workers were not expected to be concerned with growing things. They spent their days in the grind of industry, the mill chimneys calling them to service each day. My family were part of that body of workers, I'm proud to say.

6 Comments:

Blogger Simon Jones said...

Superb vague evocative shapes, great use of limited palette, great overall poetic effect. Yet another scorcher!! What was the pallete you used again Pynes Grey, Raw umber and Venetian Red? Did you use any green or does the grey look green next to the venetian red?

6:00 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi Simon. No, I didn't use any green but I used a spot of yellow ochre with the paynes grey (which is bluey anyway). I might have used a touch of ultramarine as well but only a touch. Went to see the Valette's again at Manchester City Art gallery. He did this kind of smoky industrial stuff so well.

8:54 PM  
Blogger rob ijbema said...

oh yes sheila
these last two paintings are top notch,
vague yet very strong images
like you say a flash back in time...

11:34 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Rob, well I suppose if anything is in my bones it's this kind of stuff.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Diana Moses Botkin said...

I sure like these pieces, Sheila, even though my own motivation for painting a landscape is usually precipitated by colorful light.

Now, I hope you'll visit my blog because you've been tagged! So now you're IT! You can read how to play at my latest post. I hope you have fun with it.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Sheila Vaughan said...

Thanks Diana for your kind words. And actually I was tagged not long ago so I'm sitting out on this one if you don't mind. A nice compliment though. Thank you.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home